Intern turned researcher bridges data analytics and public health

UC Irvine graduate student sees firsthand the potential of healthcare informatics

jenny cho phit

According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the burgeoning health informatics and technology field has a job growth outlook of 17 percent over the next 10 years. One of only 10 programs of its kind in the country, the UC Irvine Public Health Informatics and Technology Workforce Development Program, or PHIT, has a goal to train more than 300 students over the next year and a half and 120 students each year after the grant ends. 

One of several PHIT training programs offered is a hands-on summer internship program, which places UCI students into paid positions where they are utilizing the skills that they are learning in the classroom. 

One such student is Jaeeun “Jenny” Cho, who was an intern with the 2023 Summer cohort of 27 students and who will also receive her Master of Public Health degree with UCI’s Class of 2024. After interning in the summer at CHOC’s Research Institute, Jenny stayed on as a data scientist supporting a variety of pediatric projects. Hear from Jenny about the doors that the PHIT program opened for her: interning in the summer at CHOC’s Research Institute, Jenny stayed on as a data scientist supporting a variety of pediatric projects.  

Hear from Jenny about the doors that the PHIT program opened for her: 

What was your first assignment?  

My PHIT internship was at the Children’s Hospital of Orange Country (CHOC) where I was working on the FDA Nord Rare Diseases Cures Accelerator Data and Analytics Platform (RDCA-DAP) project. This project is an FDA-funded initiative aimed at providing a centralized and standardized infrastructure to facilitate the characterization of rare diseases and accelerate the development of treatment therapies. In my position, I was involved in creating surveys, designing a REDCap (database of surverys), and developing a data dictionary for the program.  

What were some of the things you learned from your first experience working at CHOC?  

I heard directly from affected families and patients about their struggles navigating disease diagnosis and treatment. Additionally, I was also able to learn how to communicate with various stakeholders, whether that be the family members or our NORD FDA Data Science board members. The collaboration helped me to understand the intricate process involved in creating such a large and centralized infrastructure. It also helped me learn the importance and potential of integrating technology with public health, particularly in this case, and the positive ramifications it might have on patients who must endure these conditions.  

For me, the mentorship at the CHOC research institute was one of the best experiences of the program. My mentors, including my program manager Nadine Afari, at CHOC were extremely supportive and offered guidance throughout my time. Whenever there was something, I wanted to learn or gain experience in, such as data analysis, my mentors would find a way to make that happen. I also met so many talented scientists, MD’s and researchers whose mentorship has been incredibly important to my public health journey; it was also great to hear Dr. Sanger, CHOC’s CSO, share his passion for pediatric regulatory science with our FDA and NIH colleagues.   

Are you currently working on any projects as of now?  

Currently, I am assisting with an FNIH pediatric medical devices project, which is a collaborative effort between the NIH and FDA that focuses on bringing revolutionary medical devices into the realm of treatment. As the project is currently in its design face, this initiative will work to enhance the development and approval of pediatric medical devices to be on par with adult medical devices.  

Participating in research meetings, managing the project’s submission Dropbox, conducting literature reviews, and creating infographics explaining scope, study design, ethical challenges, possibilities, and clarifying what kind of clinical trial would work best with geographical information system technology (GIS) technology in pediatric device development are my responsibilities for this project.  

What public health career pathways has PHIT opened your eyes to?  

I am passionate about using data-driven technology to improve health outcomes, especially after working in the field of rare diseases. I have come to understand the suffering that many of these patients and their families endure. Because of how rare their conditions are, many doctors might have little to no experience with treatment options, which can leave these patients being totally in the dark. In the worst cases, having so little information leaves doctors missing the critical treatment windows for their patients.  

As we develop new, efficient ways to collect and analyze diverse types of data, we can better identify and support populations that have been constantly overlooked by mainstream medical research. The world is currently changing, and we need to have better knowledge and training that bridges technology and public health. 

What advice would you have for students interested in the field of data analytics within healthcare? 

The PHIT program intersects information technology with public health, which creates endless opportunities to change the field of treatment. I would say: do not hesitate to apply to the program, as you will most likely have the chance to meet the many great mentors. And when given the opportunity, whether through this internship or another avenue, you’ll learn so much working in the field and it may even turn into your first job!