Alumni Spotlight: Tamara Jimah, PhD ’20

Ms. Tamara Jimah, PhD earned her doctoral degree from UC Irvine with the class of 2020 after having received her master of arts from Ohio University in 2015.

Tell us about what excites you for the future.

I recently accepted a tenure-track faculty position at Northeastern University’s Bouve College of Health Sciences so I am excited to begin my research program there. I also plan to continue my collaborations here at UCI, as well as develop new projects with colleagues across the globe. I’m really looking forward to mentoring students and involving them in these research projects at Northeastern.

Who inspires you?

Family has been my foundation and inspiration. I am also inspired by individuals passionate about service and contributing to improving the quality of life of the underserved.

What is your favorite UCI memory?

I’ve always enjoyed attending the arts and cultural events organized by UCI Illuminations on campus, from the New Swan Shakespeare Festival, Conversation Kitchen, to Jazz concerts at the Irvine Barclay Theatre. Many of these events are free for students and a great way to spend some fun and relaxing time outside of class. One of my favorite events was attending the Rhapsody in Blue symphony at the Segerstrom Center.

What is your message to current and/or prospective UCI public health students?

Learn to embrace challenges; see them as opportunities for growth. Particularly to PhD students, take initiative, reach out to faculty if you ever get stuck or need to brainstorm a research idea. I’ve met some of the most dedicated and passionate faculty members at UCI who are always happy to help. In addition, the Grad Division/GPSRC has several resources on campus to support your personal and professional growth. You only have a few years here- take in all the best it offers and make it count!