Honoring her history by paying it forward as a public health advocate

As a fourth-year undergraduate student majoring in public health policy with a minor in political science, Sakura Kate Ishiyama, Class of 2023, plans to pursue a law degree following her bachelor’s degree. Her drive comes from a steadfast passion to advocate and serve marginalized communities. 

Ishiyama’s passion for advocacy is rooted in her firsthand experience of growing up in an immigrant household. She saw her father battle depression and anxiety that was left unchecked – largely due to stigma and cultural barriers. Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders comprise a multitude of sub-ethnic groups with unique health needs, making the one-size-fits-all public health approach ineffective. 

By majoring in public health policy, I believe that I could make a difference for future generations of immigrants and underserved minorities.”

– Sakura Ishiyama (Class of 2023)

“By majoring in public health policy, I believe that I could make a difference for future generations of immigrants and underserved minorities,” Ishiyama said. “I’m learning how important it is to have public health interventions that are culturally and linguistically appropriate so that people like my father receive timely care.” 

Ishiyama is one of six students who is taking part in the 2022-23 Public Health Honors Research Program, which allows its cohort to research a topic of interest. Under the mentorship of assistant professor of teaching and director of undergraduate affairs Theodore Gidenose, PhD, she will interview about twenty UCI students on their perspective of their parents’ mental health and its impact on their academic and career goals and aspirations. 

“My first hand experience with intergenerational trauma inspired my research and academic pursuits,” Ishiyama said. “College students are huge advocates for mental health among the campus community so why not harness that power to help our parents and our community at large.” 

In addition to her research, Ishiyama has also stepped up in service to the public health community. This past academic year, she served as a facilitator for the Idea Exchange Group for the AIDS Fundamental course taught by Dr. Gidenose. Her role as facilitator is to bridge sensitive topics like sexual wellness with history and perspective beyond the physical attributes of the disease to destigmatize AIDS. 

These collective experiences during her undergraduate years have encouraged her passion for law and health policy. And these different projects also help in her future aspirations of being a lawyer to be able to effectively communicate sensitive information. 

“I have always wanted to be a lawyer but now with my public health knowledge and expected bachelor’s degree, I feel more equipped to help our community achieve better health and well-being,” Ishiyama said.