Get to Know Our Alumni Chapter Board Leaders

Q&A with board president Kalani Phillips (’16, ’21) and vice-president Megan Padilla (’15, ’20) who are serving the 2021-2023 term. Phillips and Padilla took over for Tyler Mehrbrodt and Farihah Chowdhury who served as the inaugural co-presidents of the Program’s first Alumni Chapter Board.

Kalani Phillips
Kalani Phillips, MPH
Megan_Padilla
Megan Padilla, MPH

Q: What drew you to volunteer with the alumni board and what do you hope to achieve in your respective roles?

Kalani: I’ve always enjoyed staying connected with the Program in Public Health, so much so that I’m now back pursuing my third degree! Serving as president for the Program’s Alumni Board felt like a great way to engage with peers and give back to the community that has done so much for me and my career. The program got me to where I am today. It’s faculty like Professors Cynthia Lakon and Miryha Runnerstrom who helped me build the confidence needed to apply for advanced degrees. It means a lot to undergraduates and young professionals when someone you look up to believes in you.

Through this role, I hope to expand the alumni network and provide members with opportunities to engage with the alumni community, both on and off campus. Networking and building social support among members will be a major part of that effort. And I look forward to being a resource to the UCI Public Health alumni community.

Megan: I’d like to give a shout-out to Ted Gideonse, PhD, assistant professor of teaching and director of undergraduate affairs, who recommended me for the vice presidency role and supported me throughout my most recent job hunt. Dr. Gideonse and the countless faculty that supported my journey showed me the power of networking. I hope to help others in the same way through my role on the board. I look forward to helping other students navigate their training in public health and the process of building their careers in the field.

Q: What inspired you to pursue a career in public health?

Kalani: I discovered my passion for public health as an undergrad studying public health policy, which was reinforced later through the MPH program. I’m fascinated by field’s ability to make positive change – disease prevention, health equity promotion – at the population level. Improving lives at such a large scale is exciting to me.

Megan: I’m drawn to the field’s mission to promote health equity. I’ve always wanted a career that would help me give back to my local community and networks, and public health has done just that. After studying public health policy as an undergrad and doing a deep dive into health equity through the MPH program, I’m ready to take the skills I’ve developed and knowledge I’ve gained at UCI and use them to address inequities in my own community.

Q: What is your favorite memory from your time at UCI?

Kalani: Graduating from undergrad will always be a special memory. I loved being able to celebrate the achievement with peers and graduate alongside my best friends. I’ll always be grateful for the lifelong connections I made through the program.

Megan: I loved Welcome Week, especially as a grad student. I’ll always remember bonding with members of my cohort over fun appetizers and drinks. It felt great to eat, be merry, and spend quality time with peers.

Q: What event or idea are you most excited to participate in?

Kalani: Pizza in the Park! I love networking events and supporting others on their journeys. It’s hard to be on your own – you need others to lean on. I’m looking forward to doing that for other students through fun events.

Megan: I enjoy service events like student panels and grad school workshops that play an important role in fostering supportive environments on and off campus. I always look for opportunities to give back to my community. I’m excited to engage new alumni and current students in these important community service events.

Q: What advice would you give to current students?

Kalani: I would reassure them that taking a gap year is totally fine! Grad school will always be there, so it’s important to take all the time you need to decide if it’s the right path. I would also encourage them to be their own biggest supporter and avoid comparing their journey to others. Everyone’s journey is different – you never know what obstacles others are facing or what their unique situation entails.

Megan: I’d tell them that it’s okay to not know what you want to do. Just try your best to go in the right direction. I’m a planner by nature – I originally thought I wanted to be a doctor, but then changed my mind. I’ve learned over time that it’s okay to have uncertainty about the future, especially because life rarely goes as planned! Before discovering my passion for public health, I learned how important it is to get out of your own way. If you try, good things can happen.

For information about the UCI Public Health Alumni Chapter Board and its members.