Funding Your MPH Degree

Finding the money to pay for your graduate education can be a daunting task, especially with the rising cost of tuition and living expenses in Southern California. However, with a little time and effort, you can make your education more affordable. Thirty-three percent of the professional fees paid by MPH students is used to support students in the form of financial aid. For additional support, here are other sources you might explore:

Sources of Funding for MPH Students:

Need-based Aid and Loans

Need-based aid and loans can come from private organizations or from the government. Banks can provide private loans and organizations may offer need-based scholarships for exceptional students. Applicants wishing to receive government aid and/or federally subsidized loans must fill out a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). You must fill out the FAFSA by the deadline to receive full consideration for many forms of need-based aid, including scholarships and UCI Grants. Please note that foreign students are not eligible for need-based financial aid, with the exception of university fellowship funding and/or employment as a teaching assistant or graduate student researcher.

Fellowships and Grants

Fellowships and Grants are awards that do not have to be paid back. The award can be institutional (offered by the university or the academic department) or "portable" (external funding offered by an organization or agency).Many deadlines for fellowships and grants occur early in the academic year, so it is important to prepare your materials in advance and apply early. Foreign students are eligible for fellowships and grants.

On- and Off-Campus Employment

You may also wish to pursue part-time or full-time employment to help pay for school. If you wish to work full-time, we recommend that you attend school part-time to ensure that you have adequate time to study for your classes. To search for jobs on- or off-campus, we recommend that you use Handshake, the job listings database of the UCI Career Center. You must be a current student and have a UCInetID login to search the database. On-campus jobs are conveniently located and may be more willing to accommodate your course schedule. There are also a number of off-campus public-health related organizations and businesses in Orange County that may be able to provide you with employment opportunities.

Teaching/Research Assistants and Readers

TA position:

Teaching and research assistantships are paid positions that support UCI faculty with their undergraduate teaching and principal research responsibilities. Though students in the MPH program are not expected to be teaching or research assistants while taking classes because of the rigorousness of the courseload, opportunities may exist for a select number of qualified students each year. At UCI, the most commonly paid assistantship positions are: Teaching Assistant (aka TA), Tutor, Reader, and Graduate Student Researcher (aka GSR or RA). Students who wish to apply for TA or Reader positions should email for more information. For GSR and GSAR positions, students should make arrangements with faculty individually.

Reader Positions:

For further question please email the Public Health Graduate Student Affairs Office at

Fees and Cost of the MPH Program

You may be wondering how much it will cost to earn a Master of Public Health at UC Irvine. The following links to cost estimates are provided by the Office of the Registrar and the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships. Hopefully these numbers will help you to plan for adequate funding of your education.

The Office of the Registrar provides an updated list of fees each year for resident and non-resident graduate students. Tuition and fees are subject to change, and you should always check with the Office of the Registrar for the latest information.

Registrar's Estimated Graduate Student Fees

The Office of Financial Aid provides estimates of cost of living expenses. Actual costs can vary widely depening on your lifestyle and situation.

Estimated Cost of Program

Copyright © 2022 The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.